Search This Blog

Saturday, February 28, 2015

Ding Ding NGLA Round 2

Day 2 of my NGLA experience began with the unwelcoming sun shining through my window far too early in the morning followed by my 2nd time getting Starbucks ever and an over priced breakfast sandwich that was surprisingly delicious. I wasn't going to let that define my day though. My first meeting/keynote speaker, Corey, An Ethics teacher/former lawyer/ new father who gave us a life lesson on how to basically go throughout life with a few core ideas to live by such as laughing at ourselves. Despite everything he had said, nothing really drove home to me until he mentioned his daughter and how he "needed our brains". It wasn't a selfish thing to say; he meant that he needed us to be there for his daughter when she grows up. He wanted our generation to make ethical decisions in life so when we get to a point in our life when others are counting on us, we can perform our best. All Corey wanted was to know that his future a.k.a his new born, was going to grow up in a worked where people cared. We need to be those people. 
After listening to Corey i was pretty amped about the rest of the day and was eager to see what was up next for me. Mike Westol, the former Executive Director of Theta Chi, who is without a doubt one of the most intelligent people I met during this conference. I had him for two sessions, Once by himself and once with Executive Director Mike Ayalon of Sigma Pi. Mr. Westol Knew almost everything there was to know abut hazing and was phenomenal at reading the culture of a chapter. Listening to him really made me reflect on everything that is done throughout greek life or my own chapter meetings and realize that although I believe we are at a good place, there is still more work that can be done to help improve our culture. 
Over all I felt the first day was a success. I was able to learn about culture, hazing prevention, and had a phenomenal dinner at the Black Bear Saloon. I am looking forward to spending another great day with my fellow BSU members as well as the other organizations. Bring on more knowledge!

2 comments: