Search This Blog

Saturday, February 28, 2015

What about you?

I am so sad that today is our last day! I have honestly had such a great time and learned so much on this trip. After my first disappointing session, I decided to go to a recruitment session since I'm so interested in panhellenic recruitment. On my way I stopped and for some strange reason entered a new session from a gut feeling. I had no idea what I was getting into at the time. The session had a DUI speaker that spoke so genuinely and to the point about his horrific experience of a drunk drive gone wrong and his three fraternity brothers dead. It was very powerful and moving and all of us were in tears. He put it in perspective for us in the socially term oiling society we live in as college students. He told us how he was the least drunk friend, how it was the last night of spring break and they decided to give themselves a break from a designated driver. He told us how they were only two miles away from our hotel. Like I said he really put it in perspective for us kids who are about to graduate and want to have fun and let loose and are only down the street from campus. My next session changed my entire dynamic of this trip. Sara Lowery honestly changed my life, my leadership, my thinking, and my speech skills. She has this incredible way of first getting your attention, and then applying information to you and showing you how to apply it to your own real life situations instantly. I've had some troubles with getting my own organization to attend my panhel events. And let me tell you...it's embarrassing. TRUST ME. So when I told her this and she had me go up i front of 100 people and pretend they were my chapter and have me talk about my event...well that was even more embarrassing. She asked me something someone hasn't asked me in a long time. She said "Girlllll what is your mission statement? Now talk to this room as your chapter and tell them why they need to attend your events using that mission statement." The next thing you know there is one single Phi Sig in the room encouraging me to go for it and I'm spitting off comments like "we should be attending these like our other panhellenic sororities because we pride ourselves on the advancement of womanhood. We should be there for each other as women and we should be aiming high by learning and gaining as much as we possibly can through these events." The next thing I saw was the entire room standing up and clapping for me. Sara taught me to be transparent. To not let fear overcome me. My being afraid to talk to my chapter because of what they might think or say is not and will not ever be acceptable for me again. These are my sisters and I owe it to myself, my panhellenic community, and my chapter to be the best leader that I can be. I gained courage today. I walked in the face of fear today. What about you?

No comments:

Post a Comment