Search This Blog

Saturday, February 23, 2013

Day One, super success

The pajama jammy jam, courtesy of Maribeth, has just commenced. Seriously the most I have laughed in so long. But that's for later... Let's talk NGLA business. 

The first session I went to was #PostGradLife. I went to the session thinking that it would give me ideas to bring back to my chapter for alumni events, but it gave me so much more. I actually met the National Panhellenic Delegate for Phi Sigma Sigma- SO COOL. She's going to introduce me to another Phi Sig that's involved in student affairs tomorrow at the affiliation luncheon so I can make some connections. I learned a lot about ways sorority women can stay involved once they graduate. She could join an alumnae chapter, NPC alumnae chapter, become an advisor, among others. I definitely took a lot out of the session. 

The next session I went to, Flip Your Organization, was a little different than I expected. I mean, I don't really know what I was expecting, honestly. I did take away great ways to motivate my chapter, something I think everyone could always use a bit of. Susan, the presenter, gave us this one bit of advice she named "The Ten Commandments". It was basically ten things to remember when working with individuals and your chapter as a whole. 

The final session I attended, The life of a Greek advisor, was phenomenal. Being a sorority woman interested in student affairs, this session caught my eye right away. Kendall, the presenter, gave us tons of advice when applying for a Greek Life Advisor position,  what to expect, what to ask at your interview, and what to keep in mind during the first six months on the job. I was actually the only undergrad student at the session, which surprised me, but it benefited me as well. I was able to ask the grad students about their respective programs, what advice they had for a student affairs hopeful, etc. It was really rewarding.

Overall, it was a great day. It's super late now though and we have an early morning ahead of myself. Bedtime! I'm sure someone else will document the incredibly hilarious bonding that occurred during the jammy jam. Ta Ta for now folks! 

Peace Love Panhel, 
Erin K. 

No comments:

Post a Comment