Search This Blog

Sunday, February 24, 2013

NGLA: The Big Picture


NGLA: The Big Picture

This morning as we got on Route 84, I could not help but reflect on how disappointed I was that the NGLA 2013 conference was over. NGLA was the best experience that I honesetly could have imagined.

For three days, over 900 Greeks across the Northeast gathered and talked about way the could make their Greek communities better. We talked about how us as Greeks could adhere to our values and uphold the visions of our founder. I learned something informative from every interaction and presentation that I was fortunate to have throughout the weekend. This conference sparked my ideas and drive to bring the information back to our community and make it even better than we already are. These past couple of days also reminded me of the gift we have been given; the gift of fraternity and sorority life. It is a gift. I know that I can honestly look back and say that it was the best decision that I have ever made. I know that I would not have half of the relationships and accomplishments that I do if I have chosen not to accept my bid to Gamma Phi Beta. After attending NGLA, I learned that it is the Student Leaders and members of the community who are responsible for caring for the gift that we have been giving so that we can continue to share it with those who come after us.

I undoubtedly would reccommend attending NGLA or a conference similar to it for those who are affiliated with Greek Life. It doesn't matter if you are a new member, an upcoming leader, or are an established leader. NGLA is great opportunity to connect with people who share the same belief and love for Greek Life that you do. Although I am sad that the weekend is over, I am extremely grateful for have been able to have and share this experience with everyone who attended from BSU.

I would also like to thank everyone who supported BSU being able to attend the NGLA conference this weekend. I would like to thank BSU faculty and administrators, students, and everyone who participated in the Greek Bowling Night  fundraiser which funded us being able to attend. I would also like to send a special shout out to our Greek Advisor Maribeth Johnson- Flakes who is the reason that any of us were there in the first place. It is because of here genuine belief in our community and in our student leaders that we were able to attend this weekend. Please be sure to give her a special shout out when you see her too!

Lastly, I would like to end my post with a quote that I heard this weekend which really impacted me.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed, citizens could change the world. Indeed it is the only thing that ever has." - Margaret Mead

No comments:

Post a Comment