Search This Blog

Sunday, February 24, 2013

"If you don't listen you'll never advance." NGLA Reflection

While arriving back to the Bridgewater State campus it really hit me about how amazing our Greek Community is. After spending a weekend with representatives from every organization I was able to hear about their values and their thoughts about this weekend. The general consensus was that NGLA is awesome and the majority of us would love to go back. The special thing about being selected to go to NGLA is that we had the opportunity to learn different leadership strategies and information to bring back to our chapter. This is extremely important because I know that the individuals that Maribeth and other Greek life members picked, chose us because they knew that we will most bring all of these amazing tools back to our organizations. It is so important to take advantage of every opportunity you can get in your life, and this is definitely one of the best opportunities I have been given. As a new president for my organization I have learned so many things that I believe will work for my chapter. While I was transitioned I think that hearing different perspectives from student leaders on other campuses really helped me think of all the positive things my chapter does and how we can definitely keep improving. A few sessions really stood out to me. 
The first one was Be an ACTion hero. I blogged about this a few nights ago but I keep replaying one quote in my mind. This quote is "What is your excuse for not having a win win situation." This quote is so important because why waste your day thinking about all of the things that could go wrong instead of thinking how amazing your life is and how everyday is just another day to change your life or even someone else's. As chapter president I think its almost easier to pinpoint the bad things about the chapter but if I just focus on all of the amazing things my chapter has done over a timespan of three years I can't wait to see what it may be in ten years. As a member of the Beta Class I have already seen such a growth but I know we're still learning. Being able to see Gamma Phi Beta and Phi Sigma Sigma get honorable mention for philanthropy projects really motivated me to get my chapter to be in that position, where were coming up with ideas and having events that are recognized by Greek life all over the Northeast. This is my win win situation because while I could think about how were new and why we maybe shouldn't win something WHY CAN'T WE come up with a great idea.Why can't we be that organization or individual that gets up and accept and award. I think as leaders you often have to motivate the other members of your organization.
 This brings me to a few points I learned in another session titled Inspire Integrity. This session was all about how your truly have to live your life with optimism. A quote that stood out in my mind from this session was when the speaker talked about the definition of hustle. The definition of hustle is to try harder than you are currently trying. While I maintain a good grade point average here I understand it could always be better, there are so many things I could try harder in but I find myself content with what I am doing. After this session it made me start to think of how would trying harder in my life make me a better student, leader, and sister. In a sorority most girls have a core group of friends but instead of sitting with those same people everyday what if you tried harder to be friends with everyone. I understand that this may be a hard task but even learning about their backgrounds, why they joined your organization, even something as simple as their favorite color can build a better relationship. Even though it is a little late in the game my resolution for this year is to try harder. Try harder in every aspect of my life, because if you don't try harder we will never get the raise or that higher up position and after all, we are student leaders so we are already better than we were when we first started at BSU. 
I also think that it finally hit me this weekend that I have been a member of Delta Phi Epsilon for 3 years now and next year will be my final year. All of the amazing experiences I have had here at BSU would not have happened if I didn't take a chance in greek life and I can truly say "because I knew you I have been changed for good."

Caroline

No comments:

Post a Comment