Search This Blog

Friday, February 26, 2016

Day 1: I need more coffee

Today started with a 5:00am wake up call and an abundance of coffee to help me survive this day. Past NGLA delegates from BSU have hyped up this conference talking about how it changed the way they saw themselves as leaders. Coming into this weekend I feel cautiously optimistic that these sessions will help me to gain the knowledge I need to be an effective leader in our community. After sitting down with the rest of the group and going over the possible sessions that I can attend this weekend, I am especially excited to attend T.J. Sullivan's session entitled "The Apathy Myth". I have heard one of T.J.'s talks before and he has a way of captivating an audience with humor, but he is still able to get his point across.

Tonight for our opening session we heard a speaker by the name of James Robilotta. James is the type of person that if we could become best friends right now, I would not complain one bit. James talked about how, as a leader on our individual campuses, we must learn that we cannot control every little thing that our members do. If we never give our members a chance to fail, they will never have the chance to succeed. As current leaders our job is not only to ignite positive change in our chapters and communities but motivate our members to their full potential so that they have the confidence to be the next leaders.

I am so excited for all that this weekend is going to hold for me. Between making new friends, and rediscovering who I am as a leader, I am confident that I will look back at this weekend at NGLA as one of my favorite Greek Life memories.

No comments:

Post a Comment