Search This Blog

Friday, February 26, 2016

Day 2: Awesome Bagels, Even Better Sessions

I LOVE NGLA! I can't believe day two is already done, it flew by and filled my brain with so many ideas to bring back to BSU. First off, I had my very first Brugger's Bagels experience, and I am officially obsessed... cinnamon sugar bagel and maple cream cheese = delicious = heaven=AKA my morning was awesome... seriously were talking better than Bridgewater Bagel good. Today's sessions completely exceeded my expectations completely, and made me so eager to come back to campus and share with everyone. My first session was "Redefining Sisterhood", which was amazing and so informative. After completing the questionnaire on what I agree/disagree with about the meaning of sisterhood, we discussed the five different types of sisterhood that can exist on a campus and within every chapter, and how we need to balance them. The types of sisterhood present can help us retain our members better as well as help them feel more valuable in our organizations, which can help us improve our overall sisterhood experience as sorority women. I am looking forward to having this session come to campus so we can specify our results to each individual chapter and gain insights about all four organizations on campus. My second session was "A Bigger Pie: How to collaborate and not compete in our Greek Community". First things first, my session speaker had the best dancing skills, check my snap story for a sneak peek. Secondly, he made me hug a stranger, which is not my favorite thing to do..... but the stranger was into it so it happened... it was awkward. Nonetheless, this session really made me proud of our Greek community because I felt that after having listened to the session, that our Greek community was way more collaborative than most of the other's who were in the room with me. I am so glad to be able to reflect on our community and see that we do work together, co-sponsor events, and support one another, and this session helped me acknowledge that even further. My takeaway from that session was that the more we collaborate, the more other non-affiliated students on campus will see that we are one community and that this will attract even more students to join Greek life. My last session was "Circle of Sisterhood" and it was spectacular! I got to meet and take a picture with Ginny.. she rocks... were BFFs now. During the session we talked about the origins of this philanthropy and ways we can raise awareness and launch it on our campus. We also discussed how even though this is a Panhellenic philanthropy, we need to include men in our efforts of raising awareness, ending women's oppression, and providing girls with the same educational opportunities. I am super excited because after talking with Ginny I have come up with some great events to hold during next years Circle of Sisterhood week. I am hoping that these sorts of events will help us make CofS flourish on our campus and become a philanthropy that both fraternity and sorority members will continuously support. The amazing experience I had today keeps me excited for my upcoming sessions, and I look forward to starting all over again tomorrow, with another fantastic bagel from Bruggers. Now I am off to the annual Bears Pajama Jammy Jam, WOO!

No comments:

Post a Comment