Search This Blog

Monday, February 29, 2016

The Leaders of Tomorrow

Just sitting back and reflecting on all that happened these past couple of days in Pittsburgh, I can say I feel inspired to make a positive difference not only in my chapter, but in the BSU community. Unfortunately, the outside world still views Greek Life as a realm to get hazed, sexually assaulted, drop out of college, etc. Yes, there are some fraternities/sororities that perform these types of behaviors on campuses across this country. However, they are not men/women, but children. They are the ones that consistently get publicized by the media for their barbaric acts towards the community they live in. Instead, the media should of publicizing the positives of joining Greek Life. They should of publicized this conference and hear ideas brothers and sisters were sharing with each other in order to improve the qualities of their significant chapters. 

NGLA was a conference filled with our future leaders, and I was damn proud to be one of the selected applicants who was able to represent the BSU community. I was able to network with brothers from my own chapter, Phi Kappa Theta, from Hofstra University in Long Island to St. Francis University in Philadelphia. Being able to connect with them and share the successes/failures of our very own chapters was just something I will never forget. Most importantly, being able to participate in sessions that will allow me to propel my chapter into the future was touching. Out of all the sessions I participated in, I would say Scholarship was the best one at the conference. Thanks to the speaker, as well as input from other brothers/sisters of other Greek organizations, I was able to listen to programs that either were a success at a chapter or a complete failure. For example, a plan I am currently working on with our VP of Intellectual (the person in charge of Scholarship for our chapter), is making different teams and creating a brotherhood type system that supports each other through academia. As the speaker said, at the end of the day, we are all brothers/sisters and are here to support one another. 

President Fred Clark, Vice President Jason Pina, thank you both for allowing me and other Greek members to participate in this year's NGLA conference. If it wasn't for this trip, I would not be able to advance my fraternity socially, intellectually, and connect it to the greater BSU community. It is important that we start looking at the good fraternities/sororities can bring to a campus as far as philanthropy and community service activities goes. We are the leaders of tomorrow. 

2 comments: