Search This Blog

Friday, February 24, 2012

First Day = Fantastic!

Today all started with a 6:30am alarm getting me out of bed to begin the first day of NGLA. When going to breakfast at Dunkin Donuts with Amanda I was skeptical on how the day may go. I thought it would be long and maybe drag but I was soo wrong! The Keynote Speaker was fantastic. He really showed everyone all the stereotypes that occur in Fraternity and Sororities and I was glad that he was telling people to stop this from occurring. Like he said "you wear your letters all the time" and he made many good points about how Greeks need to be more conscious of this. 

Following this we went into our group meetings and I learned a lot about other Fraternities and Sororities problems and found out how different they were from my own. While I worry about getting everyone involved because only a select few do not participate, they had much bigger problems. Some had to deal with fights between organizations, some deal with administration problems, and most have to deal with the issue of hazing. My issues were so little compared to other organizations but I truly was proud that I was a bear. I would not want to have to deal with the issues they are all dealing with, nor would I want to be involved in that type of activity. 

After leaving the tiny groups I had lunch with my fellow Bridgewater Greeks and we had a great time seeing how everyone's morning was so far. Upon leaving this lunch I had no idea what the conference had in store for me next.

I first went to a Fraternal Inception which was amazing. As a group we got to analyze the movie Inception and at the same time relate it to Greek life dreams we all had. The person leading the meeting showed us all that no dream was too big for our organizations to put on. We just need to get it all down fully planned then tell brothers or sister what they can do to help. As long as you have it all planned out what could they say no to? Following this I basically was taught how to put an idea into someone's mind without them knowing..aka inception. I do not want to give away how it is done because that would ruin it however I have decided to totally try this out when i get back to school!

After this meeting I attended the Fraternal Twin Brothers lecture. After Adam's speech, I was left with my jaw dropped at the end. I literally could not believe how Adam's brother Nick got hazed. It was such a cruel hazing that I could see how and why Nick is emotionally scarred to this day. The point that bothered me the most was that Nick apparently told Adam that he cannot participate with another chapter or his chapter (which recently just got rechartered) because the new guys will never go through the same process/Brotherhood that he had to go through so there is no way he could accept them. This gut-wrenching story was just so moving that everyone was left speechless at the end and the lesson was to put an end to hazing if you see it because the results could be tragic for life.

My last meeting for the day was terrible. I went to a motivation for the middle brothers or sisters who somewhat contribute but not enough to each organization. There were good points made about the separation of each individual. Meaning the top class were the outgoing and always attended events. The middle class were there sometimes and help once in a while. Bottom class were the ones who just are never around and really do not do anything for the chapter. Me and other Greeks did not find the information useful. They were telling us to "trim the fat" from our chapters if a talk with them did not work. Basically saying we should be throwing members out and no one was agreeing. Especially because we were there to get incentives to give those members. Not threaten the middle class. Myself as well as 1 fraternity man and 2 sorority woman, all 3 from Quinnipiac, discussed how much we disagreed with the instructors. Many people left the session very angry and bashing the session so I was glad I was not alone.

To wrap up the night we got a great dinner as a Bear community and then had a nice relaxing game night to close up the evening. Going to bed now though because I have to be up at 7am to start day 2! 

To anyone who read my blog...thank you
-Boyle

No comments:

Post a Comment