Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 29, 2012

NGLA 2012 (#NGLA12) from the Conference Staff Perspective

So naturally I find myself being really big on reflecting and as I walk around the Marrriott Hartford Hotel in Connecticut at 12:24 a.m. I p begin to think of how far I have come in one year. A year ago I came to the NGLA 2011 Conference as a first time delegate whom represented Bridgewater State University's newest fraternity on campus, Phi Kappa Theta.

As the Founding President of the newest Phi Kappa Theta colony at BSU, I immersed myself in the experience of what is The Northeast Greek Leadership Association! The sessions were informative, the networking was incredibly important and resourceful, and yet by the end of the experience I thrived for more! But above all, it was the relationships I formed that really made me feel like I was really part of something special. I went to one of my first sessions and I met two amazing presenters that were so knowledgable and kind I thought I could literally sit and listen to them all day. Courtney McKenna and Travis Apgar solidified my passion and love for Greek Life and all the opportunities it has to offer! I'm so glad to have met them and even more glad that I am reunited with them again and being able to see how much has happened in a year! I always believe that there are people who are placed on this earth to make an impact on others and along their journey to greatness they help and support someone who wants it the most and these two Student Affair professionals have helped me and inspired me more than they know. I think people never realize how much they can have a positive impact on someone... Even from a three day interaction but I can positively say it does!

Time passed by and I, with the amazing dedication of my brothers chartered and we initiated in the Fall of 2011. All of my hard work, sweat, tears, frustrations, and passion for success finally paid off and I will proudly say... It was SO worth it! I thank NGLA for allowing me to positively network and to also gain important resources that my chapter continues to use every day! Once my presidency was over in December, I began to think what was next for me in my Greek experience. I mean, I felt like I was a "late bloomer" and needed and desired for more! So when I received an email from the NGLA Board saying they were looking to have Student Conference Staff members to prepare and run the annual conference, I jumped...... Ok, who am I kidding?! I leaped at full speed at the opportunity to give back to an organization that did so much for me but to also take back a new kind of leadership opportunity.

After the applications, references, and interview I anticipated the arrival of my decision to be on the Conference Staff position. I had finally received the amazing news that I had been accepted for the student Conference Staff position!!!! For me, this was a new chapter in my life that would portray a "new" me, in a new leadership role. And now, in what seems a blink of an eye, I am here as Conference Staff and sharing this experience with other undergraduates, graduate students, and the NGLA Board who are comprised of notable and passionate Greek/Student Affairs professionals!

I arrived with the rest of the staff on Wednesday at 3:00 p.m. and desperately waited for the entire groups first meeting at 4:00 p.m. on the dot. We met and it was love at first sight... Hahaha but in all seriousness we began working on preparing for the conference and it all began with making sure every delegate had a proper packet with important conference information, schedule booklet, boutique information, lunch slips, and so much more! :) I found myself really being able to relate with every staff member and also surprisingly instantly clicking and understanding what we each looked to get out of this experience. Each staff member is so special and absolutely hysterical and I am so glad to have served with them this weekend!

To end this post I just wanted to say that I am truly blessed to have had this experience and have gotten so much out of it that it will hopefully help me in my future endeavors as a professional... I mean who can say that have presented speeches in front of 900 plus people at an annual conference?! :) Truly blessed and thankful. Proud to be a bear.

But wait... I forgot to take a minute and thank my dear advisor, my go to hype woman, role model, and mentor, Mrs. Maribeth Johnson-Flakes. MB if you are reading this, know that this opportunity was made possible because of you and your support throughout my journey as a Greek gentleman and other various student leader positions on our campus. You have touched my heart and have instilled energy and passion in me through the things YOU do every day to make everyone's day special and also make change happen wherever you go. I sat with other notable and highly important Student Affairs professionals this weekend and every time I had told them my institution name, you were the first person that they spoke about. But it wasn't the fact that they remembered you, but instead how they remembered you! You are so special to me and I hope that we will continue to have a strong relationship.

Well.... That got real! But it came from the heart and I hope you all enjoyed this post! :)

YITB,

John Rodriguez

2 comments: