Search This Blog

Friday, February 19, 2010

Day 2 in the life of Katelyn A. Rapoza

hello friends. (:

Katelyn here, today I totally have something to blog about.

First order of business, playfair! it was fun at welcome week 2 years ago, it was fun at welcome week this past year and it was awesome last night. i've never been in the presence of so many greeks before it was awesome! I was brushing up on my greek alphabet by being a super creeper and looking at everyone's chest. hahaha. so many different organizations, it's awesome. there are about a million and 20 phi sigs it's crazyyyy! but sweet that we saw so many of them! We got to play the "sit on each other's lap" game and a few other weird games, a little weird but a good way to sart the conference. we got out of that early and headed back up to the rooms at around 1030. we all chatted for a bit, then I showered, i'll spare the steamy details. ;) before going to bed, it wouldn't have been right if we just went straight to sleep without being ridiculous, so lexi and I made fun of aubree and her extremely tired muscles from clapping. Then we decided to take an action jumping shot onto the bed. it looked a little something like this:

we're so classy. ;) after picking our breakfast for the next day, like the romantic couple that we are, it was time to go to beddy-bye.

Now, onto today! 6:30 am came a little quicker than I had hoped but we got our butts out of bed and headed down to starbucks. I got a venti hot chocolate, with whipped cream, obvi and a croissant. we went back to the room and I enjoyed my cute little breakfast in bed. Then we all got ready to leave, today was a good hair day, toot toot. We left the room at 8:20 because us bears are always the first ones there!

We got to the ballroom a little earlier than we were supposed to so we just relaxed until we went in and sat in the very first row, totally casual. The speaker was Mike Dilbeck, he was really great, I was a little tired while listening but still, I was intrigued. It really made us think as to why we aren't doing more things in our organizations as bystanders.

After the speaker was our chapter meetings, I met a girl from Syracuse! and she totally knew Gamma Phi Beta originated there! Snaps to her. I also med a girl who knew what the rivalry was like with only have two organizations represented on campus and we were able to really talk about how it is sad. =(

After finishing the chapter meetings we went to the Affiliation Lunch, meeting Gamma Phi's from other places is so great! it's so nice to have a connection with someone without even really knowing them, not to mention throwing in a delicious lunch, just ask Maribeth. ;) We also took a big Gamma Phi Beta picture, see below:

After lunch we went to our first ed session! yay! I love ed sessions! my first one was great! it was called "SNAFU: Greeks and Grades." It was a great session to show how we need to realize that people view us differently than we view ourselves. one of the quotes from the presenter was "What you do in college is setting the banquet table for the feast or famine of the rest of your life." I thought it was a great quote because he explained how being greek is going to give you a great layout for how to continue your life, I agree Mark Hartley I agree. =) He also talked about a special program we can layout for our organizations to improve our GPA's...hmmmm...

The Next Ed session was a session about membership. Me and Aubree met girls from Rider University who were very nice. We all went through a list of PNMs and decided which one's we would take for what reasons. It was very interesting to see who values what in new members. It was a good session but didn't make me want to jump for joy, that's all i'm sayin'.

My last session was SO great. It was about rituals. Did anyone know that only 7% of alumni actively participate, 7% that's crazy pants! and it needs to change I think! but the point of the session was to discuss how rituals in our organization effect our lives, during and after our undergraduate time. We also made a list of everything that we sacrificed for our organization and everything we get out of it. It was weird to see what we sacrificed but the way the presenter was explaining it, it truly reminded me why I love greek life so much and why I call Gamma Phi Beta home. It was a great session and I hope my crazy notes can be translated by everyone else. Another thing the presenter said was that when we became initiated we vowed to judged at a higher caliber than the rest, and I highly believe that, The 6 of us, 7 counting MB(obvi) are some of the best of the best to ever come through Bridgewater State College, we should WANT to be judged highly. (that sounds so strange I apologize.)

after our ed sessions we went back to the rooms to get read for dinner. we went to an irish pub place, the waitress asked twice if we were drinking...TWICE. and there were several remarks made to us regarding us drinking and the letters on our shirts, grow up people! jeeshe. BUT i got a delicious sandwich and we all vented about current issues within the BSC greek life perimeters and we all left the pub feeling completely satisfied.

Sarah, Lexi, Aubree, Jess and I tried to go to the greek boutique but the little buggers closed shop early, so you bet we will be marching our butts up there in the morning to order some fun things. (= including this sweatshirt I just saw on some girl, can't wait to spend the money that I probably shouldn't be spending haha. After a little disappointment we chilled in the bathroom on the couches and then visited the pool. so pretty. :)



After the pool visit, we headed back to the room, grabbed our lap tops and here I am talking into a screen, while everyone is waiting for me, ahaha, oh well, I'm in a bloggy mood.



tata for now!

peace, love, greek life.
-Katelyn

No comments:

Post a Comment