Search This Blog

Friday, February 19, 2010

NGLA... A Fraternity Man's Perspective :p

Good Evening Bears!

I am really excited to have seen that we have over 15 followers! Now I will have to make sure I spell check!

NGLA has be absolutly fantastic so far! I have meet about 6 fellow Sigma Pi's and this makes me really excited! I got the chance to talk with each of them, exchanged some phone numbers, event ideas, and even took a picture! (call me lame, but I think its cool) I am really proud to be a Sigma Pi and seeing others who represent what I (and we as HH Chapter) stand for really puts a smile on my face.

The car ride yesterday was a little cramped, 7 people in a van is not the most ideal traveling conditions, but nonetheless we got here safely in just about 2 hours!

Currently we just got back from a long, jam packed day of fun, very interesting people and topics, and a wonderful Irish Pub dinner a little while ago, it was really good and we had some great convos at the dinner table about what Greek Life means to us, as well, what we want to see our fellow BSC Greeks strive to become.

I think that the hard part about leadership conferences are that, we all get to go to all of these AMAZING sessions about leadership, hazing awareness, conflict management, recruitment, values, etc, but our chapters dont get to see and experience all that we have.

The challenge shall be to properly educate our chapters and fellow Greeks on the importance of community relations and how powerful true brother/sister hood can be. I have learned that education must start from the top (governing boards) and trickle down to each and every new member class and every delegate. We must find a way to instill in our chapters the true meanings of our values and creeds and teach them  (for example) that FIPG Guidelines are for our benefit, not just another policy. It will be these things that I will take back to my brothers and fellow IFC peeps in an attempt to get us all on the same page and make sure that we are making choices that represent what our founders intended for hundreds of years ago and not comply and give into peer pressure or perpetuate  negative stereotypes.

I could sit here and tell you all about my day, and how many awesome young leaders and professionals we all have connected with so far but for me I feel it would be more beneficial to tell about my feelings and thoughts so that you can hopefully understand why we all are so damn proud to be Greek!

I have done a lot of thinking today. Not just any thinking, but good thinking. The kind that makes one question who they are, what their core values are, how I can be better, but most importanly, how I can get others to "get it". By "get it" I mean, to understand that you dont join greek life to drink, you can do that with out letters. Fully understanding that our founding fathers/sisters mean far more than just four or five names on a piece of paper that "pledges" have to memorize. That men and women can be united as one for a common cause, a common good, and a common goal not because of how many beers they can drink, or how fast they can say the greek alphabet but because they genuinly believe that the 4 pillars of greek life, when done right, are the best leadership developmental and personal growth tool we have!

I think I can speak on behalf of myself, the BSC greeks here (who are all currently sitting next to me right now blogging away), as well for everyone at NGLA that we are sick of Greek Life Stereotypes and people who give us a bad name!

 Step up and take ownership for your actions, and dont be afraid to stand up for what you believe in, becuase if you dont...who ever will?

On a closing note, Yes, I do miss my gf (Hi Katelyn :p ), I do miss BSC and my comfy bed, and of course I miss my brothers, but I am really enjoying myself here and I quite possibly may be on the verge of a life changing experience. We shall see what tomorow brings!

Stay Tuned...

Max

HOO-RAH

No comments:

Post a Comment