Search This Blog

Friday, February 19, 2010

Day one, almost done :)




My homies and I just got back from a delightful dinner together, over dinner the group recapped some of the great stuff we all learned.

A little about my day... my 8am meeting lasted until 11am (woah!) so I missed the opening keynote (sad) however the BSC crew was there 15 minutes early (NICE WORK BEARS) and they sat in the front few rows.. only unengaged people sit in the back(but thats a personal opinion).

Lunch time was seated by affiliation, I was able to catch up with my dear friend and sister Sandy Burba. Burbalicious, as I call her, and I were volunteers for Gamma Phi Beta together, she was my boss and I have to tell you, seeing her made me really happy when I needed a pick me up. There are SOOOO many Phi Sigma Sigma women here so Jess had plenty of new friends to sit with, Sarah was able to meet other members of local organizations, Max met 6 other Sigma Pi's (I snapped a picture of all of the men together) and Aubree, Katelyn, and Lexi were stuck with me.. hee hee

While the students attended all the sessions they selected I went to Response Ability Facilitator Training. Completion of the program enables me to lead discussions about By Stander Behavior to members of the campus community. The training was great, bystander theory is not limited to just FSL. Think about it, when someone litters do you say anything? Or if someone makes an offensive joke, do you say anything? Every day we are surrounded by opportunities to truly live our values and sometimes we take the easy route out and assume someone else will do the follow up. I feel really empowered to utilize the resources I have learned back at BSC and hopefully beyond.

It is so great watching the students here, this is a whole new experience for them and I love how they take everything in like sponges. Have I ever told you how much I love Greek life? I really do, when we do it right, its the best thing going. Conferences like this give me the energy to keep going forward!!

We are all in starby's blogging on our laptops like a hip group of tech nerds...we hope you are enjoying our trip as much as we are!!

Go BEARS!!

~mb

No comments:

Post a Comment