Search This Blog

Monday, February 22, 2010

The End...Or a New Beginning If You Will

Heyy Friends,

As our fun adventure drew to a close yesterday I am reflecting on what I have learned and gained from this weekend. When I found out I was going to NGLA I legit was jumping up in down screaming in my room all by myself you all know me you have a visual image I know lol..This weekend was more than I seriously could possibly ever imagine. I not only learned so much but I have taken so much away from it as well. My biggest fear joing Panhellenic this fall was failing. I know it is indeed most peoples fear but I felt like so much was all of a sudden riding on the next two years and all of the responsabilities I would have to encounter. However, I did ineevitably find my niche in the world of Panhel and the world of Phi Sig. I knew changes needed to happen I just didnt know how to make them happen and there is always that fear of retaliation from others and the many other fears that come along with trying to make people realize that change needs to be inacted small as it may be things needed to be changed. Then I got this amazing opportunity to go to NGLA. I think that amongst everything I have learned about Turning things around, or recruitment whether it be from a Panhellenic perspective or a chapter perspective. What I most took away from this weekend was RESPONSE ABILITY. We have to be able to respond and take action for the things that go on in our chapter and our lives. Bystander Efeect is something that stood out to me a great deal. We needed to make it real to realize that we need to ask the right questions of our members in order to get them to be responsible for the actions that are taking place. To be part of the solution of any problem you need to understnad how it is you are part of the problem. This is important because without recognizing that everyone plays a part no matter how small it lessens the ability for people to respect that you want to be apart of the change and that you arent better then everyone else and think that you just think everyone is below you. This was very important to me because it was the underlying theme to everything we did all weekend. I want to be able to not just stand by while things occur not only in my chapter but in my life as well I now have the tools to effectively intervene.

This weekend has been a very inspiring one. I am thankful beyond belief not only that I got to go but that I was given the chance to have the experience with some amazing people.

Thanks Everyone for Reading,
<3 Jess

No comments:

Post a Comment