Search This Blog

Monday, February 22, 2010

A final note...

Hello BSCers!

Tonight I write to you from my lovely room in East Hall. It is sad to not be in Hartford anymore. I will miss the immense amounts of unity that I felt among my fellow greeks this weekend. NGLA was a place where everyone understood each other. It was a common ground where we could come together and relate to each other. It didn't matter the school or the organization just that we all had the same obstacles and accomplishments. For chapters struggling, chapters that succeeded would lend a non-judgmental helping hand. It was such a well oiled machine. It made me realize just how important it is to feel that sense of unity all the time in the BSC Greek Community.

In the mini van ride home today, MB told us to write our final post. She challenged us to write about one particular thing that we learned and wanted to bring back to the BSC community. This was a struggle for me because I learned so much about things I think are necessary for the community to learn. After a lot of thinking I decided that the most important thing for me to educate the community on is the strength of the college Panhellenic and IFC.

It is so important for the Panhellenic and IFC to be well organized and efficient in order for the Greek community to succeed to its fullest potential. Especially in terms of Panhellenic and recruitment for example. Without a well organized and structured recruitment and set of judicial guidelines the chapters, there is less room to place as many women as possible in organizations. But it should not all be put on the Panhellenic. It is also important for the chapters to have a good relationship with the Council and with each other. We have strength in numbers and supporting each other is the best way to bring as many women (or in IFC's case, men) into Greek life.

I learned so many things about how to strengthen the Panhellenic Council here on campus and I know Max and Sarah learned just as much about IFC. I think that this time is better than any other time to strengthen our governing boards especially with the growing interest in Panhellenic due to the recent passing of extension. I plan to share all that I have learned with my fellow Greeks and have many ideas for change in the future. But Lexi, Katelyn, Jess, Sarah, Max and I cannot change the Greek community single handedly. We need your help whether you are Greek or not there is something you can do to help make this community even better than it already is. Be inspired. If you see something that you want to change, let your voice be heard. Anything can happen when you take action.

I am so appreciative that I had the opportunity to attend this conference. I didn't only learn more about how to impact the Greek community but I learned more about myself. I was so empowered by NGLA and cannot wait to see what we learned put into action. Thanks you everyone who followed us on this transforming journey. I hope that by reading this you learned more about yourselves as well.

Panhellenic Love back in BSC!
Aubree

No comments:

Post a Comment