Search This Blog

Friday, February 18, 2011

Be the Change You Want to See in the World.

Today I learned to be audacious. First thing this morning, I was asked, "Do you have the courage to stand up for what is right in a tainted environment!". Well my answer to that is YES! And after my educational sessions, some group work, and of course, some fun, I have a few new ideas!

Josh Orendi started off this morning with an eye opening keynote. He asked us to participate and put our thumbs up/down depending on if we agreed/disagreed. The things I couldn't believe; Only one greek stood up to say they thought there was no hazing on their campus. ONE, out of 900. Many others had their thumbs up that it was okay to haze and they had their thumbs up that they thought more greeks would disaffiliate if we removed alcohol. Unbelievable! Hazing is not ok, I don't care how long its been a tradition in your organization. And alcohol is irrelevant it makes you look stupid anyway.

One thing I appreciate after today is the Bridgewater State University Greek Community. Let me tell you, it is very different from other campuses. In our small groups we had to discuss our chapter's realities. Where we thought we were, and what barriers we faced. Well so many people agreed that campus rivalries were causing a huge problem. That there was violence because people chose one fraternity/sorority over another. Seriously Greeks get it together! Literally! BSU's community has been one of the most welcoming and friendly environments. I said it at lunch today, and I'll say it again, I am beyond grateful to have the inter-fratenal support that BSU offers. Best Bears ever!

We each attended, in addition to the keynote and group sessions, three educational sessions. I got to go to The monsters in the basement which was a seminar about underground and unrecognized groups! It was easy to relate to and I learned a lot! Don't let anyone tell you differently, unrecognized groups are not Fraternities or Sororities. They lost that right when they chose to engage in their hazardous behaviors. They can be severely dangerous too! I intend to educate the community when I get home.

My second sesh was about a charity organization Circle of Sisterhood. They are sorority women that support worldwide women's education. Visit their website and learn some more @ circleofsisterhood.org. They recommended everyone read this book, Half the Sky by Kristof and WuDunn. Oh! And it was featured on Oprah!

My last session I got to go with Lexi! Dynamic Recruitment. I was really excited having just gone through my first ever formal recruitment only a few weeks ago. It was so helpful! We have a bunch of great new ideas that we are going to bring back and try to use of course. The follow through is something emphasized all day long in every session. Bringing back great ideas is necessary, but change won't happen overnight. And our recruitment speaker Jessica said that we need to slide, we cant jump. Transitioning can be everything!

Our last workshop of the day was about confrontation. We took a seven step approach to appropriately deal with conflicts within our organizations. Because of course they are going to happen, and we need to find ways to deal with them. Hopefully I won't need to apply this new strategy any time soon.

Dinner was so much fun. We went to Black Bears with the Quinnipiac Delegation! The Yale/Quinnipiac hockey game ended up on t.v. too! We listened to requests from the DJ the whole time, and sang happy birthday to our advisers Nicole(QU) and Maribeth(BSU)And my burger was delicious! Sorry to the veggie eaters!

Unfortunately our board game pajama party has been postponed until tomorrow! I am so excited for what's next. Tomorrow I am going to 3 more sessions. 1. Naysayers, Crickets and Whiners! 2. Positive Pr and how to get it. 3. Mental games leaders use! It is bound to be an amazing day. I can just tell! I'll keep you posted! Till then follow our tweets #ngla2011.

Good Night Moon.

No comments:

Post a Comment