Search This Blog

Tuesday, February 22, 2011

You dont have to go home but you cant stay here...

Sunday morning, in room 1816 we all woke up at 9 am and cringed for two reasons. Reason one, it was early and Delaware in room 1818 was loud enough to keep us up past one. We may or may not have called the front desk on them. And reason two was it was time to leave. This past weekend was such a fantastic experience. I made new friends and I learned so much about how to better my organization and how to better the community. So on the van ride home MB posed a question. She said, "When you blog I want you to find one thing you are going to take out of this weekend and write about it." Well I procrastinated because I have a really bad tendency to put off things that require a lot of thought. And I was really nervous, I couldn't pick just one thing to take away. I took something from every presentation. I also learned from the other delegates. I heard things that I couldn't believe were true and made me so angry. And I got some great new ideas. So what do I pick? And then of course this song pops into my head. And I tend to use it in final papers. Semisonic's Closing Time. So maybe this weekend is over, but what I'm taking out of this experience is a way to keep it alive. And I went home. Becuase I was tired.

So back to the question, one thing that resonnated with me. "Embrace and own your sassiness" In my naysayers, whiners and crickets session Chris and I learned how to identify personality types, and find tasks for people within your organization that positively utilize their interests! And we also learned that we need to have conviction in our decisions. So this is what I choose to hold on to the most. As a leader, I need to stand behind my decisions. My sassiness is a good thing when I am standing up for something I believe in. And I challenge anyone who reads this blog to do the same. Own your decisions.

I think I'll keep this short. I want to thank MB for taking us and putting up with us in such cramped corners. Next I want to thank my amazing roommates because they made this weekend so much fun. And last but not least I want to thank you for reading for my BLOG :)

NGLA LOVE

No comments:

Post a Comment