Search This Blog

Friday, February 18, 2011

Celebrate Being Greek!

Greek family & friends,

How is everyone doing? Because I know that the Bridgewater State University Delegation is having a BLAST!

Today opened with key note speaker, Josh Orendi... all about driving to be the change we want to see on our campuses. Such a great start to the day and to the discussions that we would be having. Oh, and because our delegation is so sweet at tweeting... I won a $10 Starbucks gift card. Along with my delegation mates Chris E., John R. and Aubree!

Then came our group number meeting (I was 11). It was a slow start with my group but we got some great discussion in about what we can control on our campuses... please note the "can" aspect of that statement... because we CAN have control... but why don't we?

Lunch followed which included delicious soup & chocolate chip cookies. Audra and I sported the "no bread" sandwiches... just turkey & cheese :)

Session 1: Celebrate YOUR Greek. This session was run by 2 Alpha Xi Delta alum who had been traveling consultants for their affiliation. This was a great session chock full of information about how even though you are not wearing your letters, you still represent Greek life and begging the question... "How do you celebrate your Greek life?" Are you partying on-campus? Are you clocking copious study hours? Did your campus do a new philanthropy? Are you hazing? Would your founders be proud?

Session 2: Building Better Brothers & Sisters. Not impressed... lots of information but overall this session offered me no "ah ha" moments. Lots of examples of hazing. The major point of this session was to take a close look at our organizations and ask ourselves "Why are we doing the activities we are doing" because something that may seem harmless can downward spiral very rapidly. We also need to remember that during our new member processes we are trying to educate and be safe.

Session 3: Dynamic Recruitment. Holy moly. If anyone ever gets the chance to see a Phired Up presentation... PLEASE TAKE ADVANTAGE! Jess Murphy had attended one of their sessions last year and I can honestly say I am so thankful that I got the chance to attend this year. I attended this session with Audra and I think we both got a lot out of it. I have some great ideas to implement in my own chapter to build off of what we are already doing... get ready Gamma Phi Beta ;) If you want to take a look at their website they have free resources at www.phiredup.com/free

Closing of our group 11 time followed education sessions and we had an awesome discussion about conflict management skills. 7 easy steps to take to solve conflict (I would post them but I left my notebook upstairs... fail)

Dinner with Quinnipiac peeps was at 7pm, such a great crowd :) They are so much fun. We sat with Ivy and Frankie. We even surprised Maribeth and Nicole (Quinnipiac) with birthday wishes and one of the servers sang Happy Birthday... BEAUTIFULLY might I add.

Now we are blogging. Pajammy Jam Jam will be taking place tomorrow night so be on the look out for our posts!

Can not wait for the affiliation luncheon tomorrow afternoon and... the Awards Banquet!


Peace, Love & Greek Life,

Lexipants

No comments:

Post a Comment