Search This Blog

Saturday, February 19, 2011

Show people the good we can do...

Hello everyone,

I have never so much fun in one day. This morning we went to hear Dr. Walter Kimbrough speak about Fraternalism in America. He talked about how sororities and fraternities have evolved since the began in America. After hearing him speak, I find it amazing how most peoples opinions of Greek life are based off of a single movie in the 1970s. I wish that people would see the positive that we do instead of focusing on the negatives. But the only way to change peoples opinions of us is to showcase and focus on all the positive things we do such as philanthropy and service. Out of everything that Dr. Kimbrough talked about I loved how he used Chris Rock as his philosopher.

All of my sessions today were really good. In the Academic Excellence session I learned about so many different ways to showcase our chapters academic achievements, but also our sisters individual academic achievements. At this session I learned that there are several different honor societies that our members can join if they meet the qualifications. The people who presented this session were from the NPC (National Panhellenic Council) and they talked about how we could get our sororities recognized on there website. They also gave great tips on how help improve our Greek communities GPAs. I also went to a session about managing expectations. Which basically taught us how to deal with all the expectations that both our headquaters and Panhellenic Council gives us. This session was run by the a sister of Delta Phi Epsilon from our headquarters in Philadelphia.

The last session I went to was a session on creating a new member education plan and what the New Member Educators job actually is. This session was really informative for me because it allowed me to see if there was anything that needed to be improved or changed in the new member education plan that I created this semester I can proudly say that the plan I created is very well planned out it was compared to how other Greek organizations at other campuses. Today we also went to a larger session.

Today was our affiliation lunch. I got to meet so many new deephers! It was so great to get to talk to other members of DPhiE and bounce ideas on what works and what doesn't. I got to get so many different deephers contact info which is amazing because now I can talk to other deephers about how they run there new member program. I also got to meet another wonderful personal from out headquarters down in Philadelphia. Her name was Kendra Darigan.
She was the nicest person ever!

Tonight was our award banquet. Sigma Pi won an award for their event called Rachel's Challenge and we also received honorable mention for two other awards. It was very exciting. We ended our day with two games of Taboo. Unfortunately the boys beat the women in the second game but it was a lot of fun.

I'm sad to be heading home tomorrow but I have learned so much that I can not wait to bring back to my chapter and to the rest of the BSU Greeks.

~Diana

No comments:

Post a Comment