Search This Blog

Friday, February 18, 2011

Change is Here!

Hello Bridgewater Loves!

Today was our first jam packed day! I learned a lot of useful things at each session! The day began with an amazing speaker, Josh Orendi. As you may recall, he spoke last year about recruitment. This year he spoke to us about changing the fraternal world.


Did you see the moonwalking bear? I missed it at first too, but the important thing to learn from this is to pay attention to the finer details. Nothing should slip through the cracks.

Once the opening keynote ended, we separated into smaller groups and had some good discussions about how much we control how we are perceived. How do you think the BSU Greek system is perceived on our campus?

Onto education sessions...

Block 1: Break the Ice
This was not my favorite of today's sessions but it did give me some good ideas on some fun icebreakers/teambuilders. We discussed what was appropriate for the following settings: NM meeting, E-board retreat, council retreat, and sisterhood retreat. I am planning on using some of the fun ideas in the future so I cannot disclose my favorites. The session was basically one giant ice breaker which was nice but it didn't seem to cover as much new ground in the land of icebreakers/teambuilders as I had hoped.

Block 2: MB discussed Lifetime Membership
In the coming months I will be an alumna. Sad, I know but we all have to do it someday. Anyway, I had the opportunity to hang out with the fabulous Maribeth as she and two Phi Sigma Sigma alumnae presented on how to be an active alum. It is obviously my main goal in life to own my Gamma Phi Beta and Panhellenic awesomeness so I will do whatever I can do be actively involved. So if anyone from NPC decides to read this, holler at me :-) As for the Gamma Phi Beta side, I would love to be involved on an international level. Perhaps I will apply for a CLC position, become and RC or work with extension. These are my main areas of interest. But if EH is looking for an advisor or if MB decides she wants an awkward graduate to stick around for Panhellenic then I am your girl! It was a very informative session but I am very lucky that I continue to have MB as such a great resource in the future.

Block 3: Girls Fight Back!
This was my FAVORITE session of the day! It was led by an awesome CAMPUSPEAK speaker whos friend was murdered. With her life spinning downward she knew she had to make a change and basically became a total badass. I wish I could do that for a job: Professional Badass. But really, she was so inspiring. She empowered every woman in the room to know that she is worth fighting for. I learned lots of useful tips but more importantly, a nice routine called the badass ballet. Again, I cannot reveal the secret moves on the blog but I would be happy to share once I return to campus. I like the interactive nature of this session.

Two main things that she said really stuck with me... intuition is knowing something without knowing why. And we should trust it the moment it speaks to us. So own it ladies, if you think someone is a sketchball, listen. The second is a little sad but totally true: "it is better to be judged by 12 than to be carried by 6." Basically if you feel the need to protect yourself then do it. The consequences could not be worse than losing your life. I think that this would be an awesome program to bring to BSU so we should look into it, perhaps for a Panhellenic program.

Sidenote: ICS
Ali and I had the chance to pop over to the ICS table during lunch today. It is an online recruitment tool that BSU NEEDS! I will be giving a presentation about it to the chapters as soon as possible so we can pass the change for next formal recruitment. So keep your eyes peeled!

Once we were finished with the learning, we met up with the Quinnipiac delegation for dinner. We went to Black Bear Saloon. It was a fun place and we made lots of memories. They even sang to MB for her recent birthday. It was a fabulous time.

Now it is time for BED! We are so sleepy, especially the people in my room because of some hooligans in the hallway last night that kept us up. We are hoping for quiet slumber but pajama jammy jam has been postponed until tomorrow! SO EXCITED!

That is all for now bears!
Aubree

No comments:

Post a Comment