Search This Blog

Friday, February 18, 2011

Shirtless Dancers, Moonwalking Bears, and Black Bears Oh My!

Woke up this morning with a Venti JavaChip Frappuccino, and that didn't even help me throughout the day! There was just so much for such a long day. Where to begin?!

The beginning speaker was very amazing getting us pumped up and ready for the day. We watched a video of a kid who was dancing at an outside rock concert alone and people looked at him funny. However not but 30 seconds later everyone was running to dance with him. All I could think of was I wanna be him. I want to be that shirtless dancer. We then saw a video that had guys passing a basketball but we all missed the moonwalking bear. However when related to my Fraternity I think it's great that we go out there and seek those moonwalking bears.

Then we came to the Small Group session. Within the small group session we really got to get together as a whole and got to discuss some core problems that we all experience in Greek Life. It was highly beneficial because some of us had experienced it in the past and were able to help everyone out if they had problems.

My first session was on Social Class. A little upsetting because it was focused on primarily advisors and students were asked to leave like halfway through. Still we got to see what defines social class and how it plays in Greek Life. It's hard but it happens and being cautious is a necessity. You never know.

My second session was a double block on Anti-Hazing. OMG!!!! I learned literally everything my little mind could absorb. It taught us the benefit of being solid as an individual in anti-hazing, then bringing that to your group and solidify that and then you can bring it to the community and make sure that the entire community is all together on Anti-Hazing. It was nice because we discussed the many different people involved in groups that make it really hard to get stuff like this in action.

For the other half I had a one on one session for my Anti-Hazing action plan. It was amazing! I got to meet this really amazing advisor from SUNY and she really pressured me into seeing how sincere I was about an Anti-Hazing movement on our campus. It made me happier when I convinced myself that I really was telling the truth. She gave me a bunch of advice on what causes hazing as well as the slippery slope. The main thing I got out of there if anything was to strengthen your values. Your values define you, not the rituals and pledging that everyone goes through. It's your Values. And that is the only way to stay away from any form of hazing.

Supper happened at Black Bear. Quite loud but still quite enjoyable. Great music and the DJ was extremely nice and played all of our requests. We even got to celebrate the bestest Greek Life Advisor in the World's birthday a week late. ^_^ Tomorrow is going to be even better!

1 comment: