Search This Blog

Friday, February 18, 2011

Leadership is NOT a title

Hello, Hello, Hello Friends!

Today was a very long, informative, and fun day! I attended three educational sessions and two small groups sessions all from which I had conversations I will never forget. I got to meet and interact with so many people and while we all are from different places within the Northeast, we all are facing a lot of the same situations. Today the theme was Change Is Here. We are the change. If we want something to happen, something to improve, or something to go away, we have to set outside of our comfort zones and initiate it. Nothing is going to happen if we all sit around and wait for everyone else to fix it. While the popular statements says we are the leaders of tomorrow, I have learned that we are actually the leaders of today.

The first session I attended (which was probably my favorite of the day) was called How To Be an OutSTANDing Leader. It was led by Hoan Do who is a man who speaks all around the country and is only a few years older than us. We learned and discussed the 8 elements that make an outstanding leader. They are; E- Extraordinary Attitude, L- Lead Through Actions, E- Encouragement, M- Motivated To Make A Difference, E- Excitement, N- Not Afraid To Be Different, T-Take Risks, and S- Step Out of Your Comfort Zone. It is important for all members to understand and value these elements because they can help us become stronger and better. It is important that we all are capable to see things the way they are, not worse than they are, and also not as if it is nothing. We have to show others what we are going to do and be accountable for the things we say, because if not it is just a bunch of meaningless words that may sound good but have no real meaning. It is one thing to know about something, and an entirely different thing to apply what you know. As leaders, we cannot be afraid to speak up, to be held accountable, or to encourage other members and accept them for who they are.

People may not always remember what you said or what you did, but they are always going to remember how you made them feel. It is important that we are genuine and if we say something we mean it. People want and need to be able to connect. Leadership is NOT a title and we need to make sure we do not believe that we are above or more entitled than any of our other sisters and brothers, or any other members of the community on campus. If you want to inspire, you have to be the real you and don't settle for anything.

I also learned that I am my own message. What I do, how I act, and what I say everyday, is the reputation and legacy I am leaving behind. The benefit of being involved and being a leader is not what you can get from it, but what you give back. Leading is serving.

I also went to a very emotional session on DUI: A Powerful Lesson. I know that everyone knows they shouldn't drink and drive, that they shouldn't get behind the wheel even if they have only had a little to drink, and yet, shockingly, the majority of people in my room honestly answered and have gotten behind the wheel while they are intoxicated. I think it is something Greek life as a whole needs to work on. We have the stereotype we have due to our actions and by doing stupid things, we are only making that stereotype seem real. I hope that even if we are not in the same organization, we can be responsible and stop those from drinking and driving. I have lost three people in my life due to drinking and driving and I NEVER want to lose any of my fellow Greeks from something that is SO preventable. You never know what can happen and when something as tragic as a drunk driving accident occurs, it is not only your life that is about to change for ever, but EVERYONE who knew the person. I obviously was brought to tears throughout the presentation and it really hit home. I hope everyone on campus knows that I will gladly come and get you any time of day, no questions asked. Just be smart :)

Tonight we also got to go to dinner with our Quinnipiac friends. It was a lot of fun and I am looking forward to tomorrow. I am attending three more sessions that I am super excited about. I have learned SO much and have so much more to share with everyone. I have already learned more than I imagined possible and it has only been a day. I will leave you with this quote, "You miss 100% of the shots that you don't take."- Wayne Gretzky.

Peace and much NGLA love until tomorrow,

Kaitlyn

No comments:

Post a Comment