Search This Blog

Sunday, February 20, 2011

The Bears Are Back In Town!

Hello my fellow bears!

After last night's pajama jammy jam and the anticipation of the drive home the next day, I was too tired to blog about the day's events, lessons and accomplishments. So I will fill you in starting with Saturday.

Saturday morning we started off with a keynote speaker I will never forget. I got to learn all about the history of Fraternity and Sorority life and the changes it has gone through over the past hundreds of years. It was also shocking to see all the hazing that has occurred around the country and all the tragic and preventable abuse students went through. I must say that while I know hazing exists everywhere, I am so proud of Bridgewater and very proud to be a bear. I hope when I get back on campus our delegation can really make sure everyone knows just how bad hazing can be and while we don't see it everyday, it is unfortunately still out there.

I then went to my first educational session with Lexi. I learned a lot about the seven different feelings that organizations go through and that we are not alone. I am hoping I can bring back some of the helpful hints I learned to make sure no one is feeling exhausted or overwhelmed or anything like that. Hopefully we can all make sure we are helping each other out and that no one member of the organization feels like they are doing all the work.

I then got to go to a keynote speaker and I learned SO much from the session. It was about how to de-clutter and make a new and improved image for yourself on campus. I learned about the language we should use when trying to recruit new members and how to make flyers more effective. I guess it never really crossed my mind that using words such as "sisterhood" and "philanthropy" don't have a real meaning to those we aren't a part of the organization and know the true meaning. Dr. Tait was a phenomenal speaker and really actively involved us in his discussion. I also really got to understand the importance of monitoring what members post and say on facebook. Once you are done reading the blog, do this for me, type your name into google and see what comes up. Is what you are seeing something you want anyone to be able to click on? People only know what they see and if they are putting it on the internet, then in a way they have a right to see it.

I also got to go to a session on Where Has all the Sisterhood Gone. It was such a nice and uplifting session. I learned fun tricks to help girls remember why they joined the organization and about just how important recognition is. Everyone goes through periods of rainclouds and sunshine and as sisters, it is our job to bring our sisters back up. Showing the ones who do stuff for you on a daily basis how important they are is really important and a great way to keep morale up. I also learned and got to talk to a few of the ladies about awards they use in their chapters to keep the sisterhood evident.

My last session was on my NPC membership and understanding what it means. I now have a new found respect and interest for Panhellenic and I think it would be valuable if all sisters could attend a presentation on exactly what Panhellenic means and does. I learned all about our responsibilities as an organization that is a part of Panhellenic means and I am so thankful I got the chance to attend this session.

We then went to our fabulous banquet dinner where BSU Greek Life was a pretty strong force. Thank you to Lexi and Aubree, we received honorable mentions and one award for Sigma Pi's Rachel's Challenge. It was really good to talk about all the things we learned from our sessions this week with each other and bounce ideas off of everyone. We also got to take lots of fabulous and sassy pics which I can't wait to share with al of you. Then it was on to Pajama Jammy Jam! We played Taboo which I will admit the boy's team was good and won, but us ladies had tons of fun. It was a really fun and exciting night. :) Then it was time for bed and I had a good chat with my awesome roomies Aubree, Ali, and Audra. I am really glad we got to bond and start friendships. Then after chatting and sleeping, it was time to rise and shine and hit the road.

In the car I started thinking about everything I learned over the past few days and everything I experienced. I am so thankful I got the opportunity to go to good old Hartford, CT and attend NGLA with so many fabulous Greeks! The one thing that has really hit home and stuck with me is the fact that we ARE the change and that change is HERE. We are not the leaders of tomorrow, but the leaders of TODAY. If we want things to change on campus and for there to be more unity or whatever we hope for, we must take the initiative and action to move forward. I hope that I can take all I have learned and share it with others. I cannot wait to become even more involved and implement the change. I can't wait for more Greeks to come together and want the same things.

I also want to give a shoutout to MB, our amazing Greek advisor. Thank you for driving the 15- passenger flawlessly and for being so fabulous. I don't know what any of us would do without you!!! :)

If I think of more (which I am sure I will, the more I continue to process all I learned) and blog later.

Good night Bears!

Much NGLA2011 love,

Kaitlyn

No comments:

Post a Comment