Search This Blog

Saturday, February 25, 2017

I had wolf pajamas

This morning started off a little too early for me because if anyone knows me, they know I am NOT a morning person. I also can't eat when I wake up so me spending $6 on breakfast was such a waste of money. I'm also a little frustrated because the Greek Boutique was not as good as I had anticipated. Prices are WAY to high for the average college student.

Anyway, the morning started off with the first keynote speaker who was super energetic and got everyone excited for the remainder of the day. One thing he said that really stuck out to me was "Rejection is direction to something great". I liked this quote because it is so relevant to basically any student, but especially to those in Greek Life because we juggle so much that sometimes things don't always turn up in our favor.

The second speaker that I went to told his story of how he was a sexual assault survivor and how we need to have more conversations about sex and sexual assault in a healthy and safe way. This session made me pretty emotional and the content was pretty heavy at some points. I realized however, how much our Greek Life could benefit from having someone come talk to us about how to prevent sexual assault before it happens and how to comfortably talk about it with our brothers and sisters.

I did not enjoy my third session so much - it just did not seem relevant to me as much as I thought I would. But my third speaker was pretty cool! Her name was Kerry Mallett and she discussed with us what to do when a consultant comes to visit your chapter. This is SO relevant to Gamma Phi because we have one coming in the near future and I gained a lot of tips and tricks to make her feel more comfortable visiting us, and how to make our experience with her less awkward.

The last speaker I went to taught us about microaggressions, microassault, microinvalidations and microinsult. He showed us video examples where some were inspecting, some were funny and then some were just kind of sad to think people actually say some of these things. I definitely think that BSU could benefit from having someone come talk to us about this issue because our campus is so diverse. People don't realize the impact on people when they say "thats gay", "thats retarded", "you don't act black" or even make rape jokes.

Onto a brighter topic, lunch was great. Dinner was great (3 free meals) and I got to pet a homeless man's dog who ended up taking a picture with us. Once we got back from dinner we went to a t-shirt swap and dance party. Then the Pajama Jammie Jam was so much fun and I came in second for best pajamas! I'm so excited to see what tomorrow brings for me and what else I can learn to better my Greek community!

No comments:

Post a Comment