Search This Blog

Friday, February 24, 2017

The Three Cs: Care, Compassion, Kindness (with a C)

My first full day at NGLA was more than I could have imagined. The sessions today were not only super informative and necessary to learn about, but they also were so enjoyable. The session that really stuck out to me today was called "Curiosity, Courage, and Cake: Surviving Mental Illness through Sisterhood" which was presented by Annalise Sinclair. Annalise did such an amazing job relating back to all of the sorority women in the room, sometimes she made me feel like she was talking directly to me. She spoke of always living under this great pressure to be spectacular. She is a straight A sorority women who is her parent's pride and joy and her younger sister's role model. I have never related so much to a description before, It was refreshing to recognize that it's okay to not always be this perfect image I paint for myself in my own head. 
Mental illness is a scary thing, and it's even more terrifying to talk about. Hearing this conversation made me uncomfortable, but in a good way. I look at myself as a super bubbly person, and basically an open book. So, when something is the matter or I am upset- you can DEFINITELY tell. But, some of my sisters aren't like me... and to think they go days without feelings like they have no one breaks my heart entirely. This presentation made me recognize that it is okay to not be okay. Being a bleeding heart optimist, that is hard for me to say out loud. I want so badly for people to feel like they have a light at the end of that tunnel.. but sometimes they just, don't. Dr. Seuss once wrote (sorry education major), "I'm sorry to say so but sadly it's true, that bang-ups and hang-ups can happen to you". So this presentation really helped me recognize that I am a compassionate person and as an executive board member, I have a responsibility to the sisterhood. This presentation helped me see that it's okay if life gets too much for me and my sisters, I can be kind (with a C), I can be compassionate, and I can be caring. I was so thankful to hear this presentation and recognize what I can do for my Greek community and for myself. 
NGLA has provided me with connections of people who ACTUALLY care, and want me to be a good Greek. I am so excited for more self reflection and to see how else I can improve myself and my chapter. 

No comments:

Post a Comment