Search This Blog

Monday, February 27, 2017

The City of Dreams

The evening before our departure for NGLA, I was hanging out with two of my friends Haylee and Matt. As we were walking to the parking garage, we all brought up our upcoming plans for the weekend. I mentioned I was going to NGLA. Matt asked where it was. Haylee answered "It's in Hartford, also known as the City of Dreams!" Matt looked at us confused but not quite in disbelief. Haylee explained she was just kidding and we all shifted into a new conversation.

Little did Haylee, Matt or I know that Hartford is in fact the city of dreams, well at least this past weekend it was. The first presentation at NGLA was called Be The Dream Maker. Keynote speaker, Michelle Guobadia discussed that over the years, the Greek community has lost our way, steered off the path and forgotten our common goal. Men and women formed these organizations in secret, to come together to learn and be better overall. They didn't create these organizations to create drama, host parities or do poorly in our academic courses. Men and women had a dream. In order to continue their accomplishments, we must work together, to continue to be the dream maker and not the dream killer. 

The rest of the sessions were also impactful. They taught and reminded me to look into the perspective of other people and to appreciate what we have. They also reminded me that it's okay to make mistakes. However, in order to learn from them, we must own up, and be accountable. Stop pointing fingers at other people and just own it. Own it for yourself, your chapter and your community. 

I'm so thankful for this incredible experience. I'd like to thank Panhel, IFC in providing me the wonderful opportunity to go to NGLA. I recommend any member of their individual organiztion to apply! These blogposts I have written over the past few days honestly does not do the conference justice. I think these sessions are not only benefical to people who hold positions in their respected fraternity or sorority, but members who are curious, willing to learn, want to grow and want to make a difference in our community. I also would like to congradulate MB! Your hardwork does not go unnoticed and I'm so happy you earned the Philippi Award

Thanks again to everyone that made this opportunity possible. I had an amazing weekend that several of the sessions will resonate with me for years to come. I'm looking forward to relaying the information back to our chapter president and with the community! We must continue the dream of our founding members. We have all worked so hard and have come too far to be the dream killers. 

No comments:

Post a Comment