Search This Blog

Friday, February 24, 2017

I named my post "NGLA 2K17" because I heard Tristen was naming his "NGLA 2K17", but Tristen didn't post in the right place.

Day one of NGLA:

I have definitely had worse drives. Not proud to say High School Musical (1 and 3, but not 2) took a toll on my voice because I usually take Gabriella's part. While there were other artists featured on the ride down, most notably Fergie, High School Musical made up the majority of songs. MB's van got to the hotel about 20 minutes before ours. There was much fun had by all in the slow van.

When we got back to the hotel, we unpacked and hung out for a little while before going out to eat. Afterwards we met back up and went over the different sessions we were going to sign up for. It was really awesome to see that a lot of the sessions that I wanted to go to, others did as well. That was awesome for me because it really drove home that other organizations want to work on the same areas of our Greek Community so that we can help our community move forward and in turn, be more helpful to Bridgewater State.

Once we started meeting other chapters, it took a while to find any other Sigma Pi's, but when we did we found out they were equally as excited to meet other chapters of our organization as well. I love meeting different chapters from around our area and those who are from other parts of the country. Knowing that Sigma Pi's from different Universities are all different, but are founded on the same values as our founders were 120 Years (In T-2 Days).

Transition to Keynote Speaker Michelle Guobadia. She is definitely one of the more interesting Keynote speakers I have ever experienced. There was a lot to say about how we need to make sure that we are keeping the dream of our founders alive by continuing to make sure that our organizations continue to strive for the same values as we were founded upon. That is a message that really spoke to me, because I feel like too often people focus on the who, what, where, and when that they forget about the why. There is always a purpose behind what we do for events, but I think that we need to make a more conscious effort to convey why we are doing what we are doing.

After we went through a few presentations put on by CEOs of different companies abotu what their company can offer our organizations. One, Greek University, was put on by former Executive Director of Sigma Pi Fraternity International, Michael Ayalon. Between Mike and Kevin Pons, it was really encouraging to see Sigma Pi alumni still being so involved with the future success of our Greek Leaders, as that is what I want to eventually do one day. The most important thing that I can do with the knowledge that I get from conferences like NGLA is to make sure that our next generation of Greek Leaders can do everything they can to be successful.

Now it is just past midnight as I finish up this blog and we're watching How I Met Your Mother until we start to get sleepy. The original name of the post was "I named my post "NGLA 2K17" because I heard Tristen was naming his "NGLA 2K17". But he posted it in the wrong place, thus the name change.

I'll be posting again tomorrow and looking forward to the opportunities to learn about the different ways to improve our Greek Community at BSU!

No comments:

Post a Comment